The Voice for America’s Libraries
United for Libraries is a national network of enthusiastic library supporters who believe in the importance of libraries as the social and intellectual centers of communities and campuses. No one has a stronger voice for libraries than those who use them, raise money for them, and govern them. By uniting these voices, library supporters everywhere will become a real force to be reckoned with at the local, state, and national levels.
For more information, please read “A Short History of United for Libraries” by past-president Peggy Danhof.
United for Libraries’ Mission
The mission of United for Libraries is to support those who govern, promote, advocate, and fundraise for all types of libraries.
United for Libraries has the specific responsibility for:
- Educating through a continuing and comprehensive program for library Trustees to enable them to discharge their responsibilities in a manner best fitted to benefit the public and the libraries they represent.
- Encouraging and assisting the formation of and development of Friends of Library groups and Library Foundations.
- Providing a means for Trustees to have access to information and ideas that will prove useful to them in the governance of their libraries.
- Providing Friends of Library groups and Library Foundations access to information and ideas that will prove useful to them in fundraising, library promotion and the operation of their organizations.
- Promoting strong state and regional Trustee and Friends of Library organizations.
- Providing to all who value libraries the materials and support they need to be effective advocates for their libraries on the local, state and national levels.
- Making the public aware of the existence of formalized groups such as Trustees, Friends of Library groups and Library Foundations and the services they perform to encourage and develop expanded participation in the support of libraries across the country.