Stay tuned for more updates on the 2021 Summer Reading Program!
Benefits of including early learners in our summer reading program:
- Young children will gain self-confidence and a love for reading, books, and the library
- The groundwork will be laid for children to become lifelong readers and learners
- Entire families will have the opportunity to participate in age-appropriate summer reading programs
- Completion of the program will give children a sense of accomplishment and belonging
- Parents and caregivers will gain knowledge about early literacy and learning activities at the library that they can continue at home
- The library may become a community destination for more families during the summer
The benefits of summer reading programming for children:
- Children are motivated to read.
- Children develop positive attitudes about reading, books, and the library.
- Children maintain their reading skills during summer vacation.
- Children have access to experiences that further their sense of discovery.
- Children have access to experiences through which they can learn to work cooperatively.
Benefits of including teenage programming in our summer reading program:
- Many teenagers find enjoyment in reading
- Having high levels of literacy are needed for higher education and future employment
- Most standardized tests that teenagers will take include a reading comprehension portion
Adults look forward to summer as much as kids do. They can relax, take vacations, and catch up on reading, and that makes summer a great time to offer special programming for adults. You may catch some parents who are already coming to the library with their children, or hook some newly retired folks who have a little more leisure time, or even attract busy singles who just want to try something new.
Adult summer reading programs can offer adults the opportunity to have fun, explore new interests, and interact with one another while also providing a good model for children enrolled in summer reading programs.